Is Higher Education Worth It? Student Debt & University Advice!

In today’s episode of The Point: Higher education! It’s been long considered that going to college should be the goal for most young people, but with the mou…
Video Rating: 4 / 5

25 Responses to Is Higher Education Worth It? Student Debt & University Advice!

1. emma hart says:

when i leave school i would absolutely love to go to TAFE or college &
    study Film. but can anybody who has been to college tell me if its worth
    it?? ­čÖü me & my family are not wealthy & its crushing my dream´╗┐

2. TheHannahBananaTV says:

SO just to kind of sum up this 50 minute video for you. To be honest I
    think personally that unless there is a certain Job that you know you want
    and know school is required for it then go. But if you are like me and just
    kind of did whatever it took just to get out of high school there are tons
    of jobs out there that don’t require a collage education. Collage is always
    going to be there, so if you turn 35 and say “Hey I want to go to school
    and do this” then go and yes it may/will be tough if you are married and
    have kids but you will most likely be in a better place money wise than you
    would be right out of high school. And like she said in the video “IT ALL
    EVENS OUT IN THE END” and just because you go to collage does NOT mean you
    will have a fabulous paying job when you finish. Hope this helps some of
    you in this same boat as me. ´╗┐

3. Dmitri Makovetskiy says:

70 thousand a year. Is a lot of money. not easy to reach that salary level.´╗┐

4. mukfay says:

The key statement her is at 10:27. And when I went through my student loan
    counseling sessions, they were very clear about how difficult it would be
    to pay back the debt. No excuses there.´╗┐

5. Nathan B. says:

When I got out of high school, I took a year off and then went to a
    community college for maybe three years and quit. I’m glad I did because it
    got too hard to do that and a physically demanding job too. I couldn’t
    imagine graduating college and right away, owing $80k to $120k or more in
    debt; it’s for the most part not worth it.´╗┐

6. Creatrix Campus says:

Thanks´╗┐

7. Daniel Stone says:

Also hilarious that they are making excuses for ignorant students and
    parents. Just like bank account guarantees, etc it encourages blissful
    ignorance. His statement about the 1700s shows the lack of awareness our
    youth, including me, takes upon ourselves to demand from society, our
    government, etc.´╗┐

8. Christopher Salazar says:

The guy is an idiot for thinking that lack of tax revenue and funding for
    education is the problem for the crazy expensive college price. Solving the
    problem is adding more money, well that will certainly help the schools and
    raising the tuition even faster. If the government would stop guaranteeing
    these loans, nobody would be able to afford school, forcing schools to
    decrease tuition to what it should be. Raising taxes, right. Give the
    schools more money.´╗┐

9. Whateverasia . says:

Going Abroad was soo amazing but i didn’t go for a whole semester. we have
    a e-term requirement thats about three weeks and you have the option to
    stay in the states or go national. I went to England for 12 days and it was
    enough time to have a taste of abroad but without paying an arm and a leg. ´╗┐

10. KILLE911 says:

I was laughed at by a highschool counsellor when I ask, “how will I
    actually get a job after university”. Still to this day I await the answer.
    -3rd year BSc´╗┐

11. Sergant Kornballz says:

i kind of feel like i watched this whole thing and still not have gotten a
    clear answer on whether college is worth it or not. ´╗┐

12. Smoke Signals says:

Not a fan of the chick with the bun.´╗┐

13. acousticguitar says:

I wish I had never gone to university, it was a complete waste of time.
    They just wanted the tuition fees. I would own my own home now if I had
    not gone to university´╗┐

14. MrJames9201 says:

7:00 Ana, that is EXACTLY the problem. You clearly don’t understand
    Economics ´╗┐

15. zhara2585 says:

The young people in this country have been brainwashed into thinking
    government is the answer when in fact gvmt is the problem. Government
    should get out of education and the loan business entirely. Then tuitions
    would drop like a sack of rotted apples. Colleges would have to compete for
    dollars.´╗┐

16. Markus Maxwell says:

Ana toots her own horn about how smart she is but then talks about raising
    taxes to fund higher education. How about cut cost elsewhere? Crazy idea, I
    know. ´╗┐

17. Jake Rosser says:

I have studied this problem backward and forward and the real issue is the
    credentialing process. That is, the reason colleges can charge so much is
    for the BA is they have monopoly power of the credentials (i.e. college
    degrees). If you let a third party control the credentialing process that
    is designed by industry leaders, it removes the emotion out of going to
    college for the sake of “just going” to party and make friends. If we take
    the credentialing process away from colleges, students and parents could
    evaluate its true value relevant to the marketplace needs. If Americans
    want to solve this problem, that is how you solve it. Student loan debt
    will then drop like a rock.´╗┐

18. elton john says:

Honestly college/university isn’t for everyone. In my experience I was a A+
    student, got accepted to one of the best schools in NYC. Denied it becuase
    tuition was too expensive, ended up going to a community college and was
    one of my worst experiences. Couldn’t choose my own curriculums. I Had to
    go through certain test that I didn’t need at all. Basic wasted a few
    couple of thousands of dollars that semester for what? For classes that I
    didn’t need at all?´╗┐

19. dfgcheng says:

No it’s not worth it. I had friends who graduated from Harvard undergrad
    with $80,000 in debt and not even McDonald’s would hire them. I am talking
    about kids with 4.0 GPAs but majoring in English, History, Theater, etc.´╗┐

20. Francesca Boccaccio says:

I worked full time thru all my college experience…. still got a big one.´╗┐

21. Alfred Mayer says:

100 years ago we managed our social lives without master degrees. The
    entire hype of “higher education” is fabricated so banks have a grip on
    future wages. Education has to be free for everyone. Otherwise we’ll stuck
    in the same kind of feudalism we thought we could escape from.´╗┐

22. Jacek R says:

Saying that taxes needs to be raised in order to increase public funding
    for student subsidies is wrong (OK if we just tax the people who make 200k
    plus hehe. Universities should charge less for tuition, they are way too
    greedy. I believe government should strive for implementing a program for
    student loans with small interest rates 1%-2% (that would be fair).´╗┐

23. Jason Ries says:

Ana did great but the other girl, how is she a financial aid counselor. She
    was rambling off topic most of the time. The real issue is that more than
    half of those with a degree are underemployed. How is the debt for diploma
    model sustainable if the future earnings aren’t there in this new economy?´╗┐

24. 14598175 says:

70% of jobs now require a 4 year degree, by 2020 it will be nearly 95%. Is
    it worth it? It may not seem like it, but try leaving it off your resume
    and see what happens. I know people with 30 years experience in their field
    who today can’t even get an interview. Companies will hire someone with a
    degree and 6 mo. of experience over someone with no education and years of